Parquet Wishes and Leprechaun Dreams

Friday, June 13, 2008

The Lakers couldn't do that ...

The Lakers tried to come back from a 24-point deficit in Game Two - and almost succeeded - but the Celts were able to lock down in the closing moments and held onto their lead for the win.

That's the difference between them and these Celtics, who were down 21-to-45 at one point in the second quarter (on the road, mind you) but came roaring all the way back for the greatest comeback in recorded Finals history (sports.yahoo.com) to take a commanding 3-1 series lead ...

I don't even know where to begin ... Should I talk about the smothering defense the Celtics played in the second half (they finally answered my prayers and stopped giving the Lakers open three-point attempts)? How about old-man PJ Brown posterizing Kobe Bryant and dunking right in his face (okay, the dunk wasn't quite in Kobe's face, but close enough for me) to cap a 31-15 third quarter which sliced their 40-58 halftime deficit down to just two points (71-73)? Or should I mention Ray Allen simply blowing by Sasha Vujacic - with minimal effort - for an uncontested layup that gave Boston the five-point lead (96-91 :16.4) that pretty much sealed the win? Maybe I can pontificate upon the previously-mentioned Vujacic crying like a baby on the bench after making said defensive abortion (I could go on about that particular display [youtube.com] for hours on end)?

Seriously, this was such a statement game for the Celts (whom the media "experts" basically gave no shot at winning the title) that I can hardly contain myself ... I'm afraid that if I blink then this will all go away.

But it's not going away, not ever. Mark it in the record books, Boston rose to the occasion while the Lakers could do nothing but watch ... The "Drive to 17" (TM) isn't over yet, but it's oh so painfully close, I can see the parking spot.

Three down, one to go.

No comments: