Parquet Wishes and Leprechaun Dreams

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Creative Writing 101

I think NBA bloggers should be applauded when they start thinking "outside the box" with their articles ... and when those articles focus on our beloved Celtics, so much the better.

I've tried getting a little "out there" with my writing in the past (and failed), but today I just wanted to highlight some other creative endeavors I've stumbled across, so that the authors might get the recognition that they deserve:

A Celtics Blogger Christmas Carol (In Five Parts) : 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |5 (bostonsportsmedia.com)

This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about, where someone takes an idea that - quite frankly - has been done to death, but puts it within the context of professional basketball (specifically, the Celtics) ... It's something that you just don't see enough of on the intrawebz, and the combination of humor and poignant commentary on the state of the franchise makes for a great read.
“I am the Ghost of Celtics Past,” he announced before resuming his loony dance for a few more seconds. Then he stood and waited, perhaps for me to scream in terror, or maybe just to buy one of his boxes to make him go away. Clearly, this was all just a terrible, terrible dream.

“Hold on a second,” I said. “You’re just a ghost?”

He looked confused. “Yes.”

“What a relief,” I said. “For a minute, I was afraid you were the real Crunch ‘n Munch Guy, back to promote a new season of Paradise Hotel.”
Celtics as "The Office" Cast Members (bostonsportz.com)

Here's another good use of an established internet meme (just think of those "Which blankety-blank are you?" quizes [okcupid.com] that permeate the web), but with a twist ... a "Green and White" twist, as it were.

A great mix of current pop culture and pro sports, this article definitely leaves me wanting more (that's what she said).
Doc Rivers = Michael Scott

Neither man has any business holding the position he does, but despite their flaws each oversees a successful, fully operational "team".

Shared Quote: "...they just don’t get very much work done when I’m not here. [pauses] That’s not true. I know how to delegate, and they do more work when I’m not here. Not more ... the same amount of work is done whether I am here or not ..."
The Celtics and Nintendo (celticsbandwagon.blogspot.com)

This article I actually found quite awhile ago (dated "November 03, 2006"), but it's so good that it bares repeating ...
Rajon Rondo (Yoshi) – I’m a little concerned about Rajon only because everybody loves him and he’s inexpeirenced. However, he is clearly the Yoshi of this group and hopefully this season will be his coming out party (think Super Mario World). As you may recall there was a lot of hype surrounding the release of Super Mario World, which was one of the first Super Nintendo games. Despite all the cool stuff that game had – Mario’s cape, 2 endings to the red levels, a more expanded game environment – Yoshi stole the show at times. And while he did not surpass Mario (this is why we need Pierce to make that leap), Yoshi did become an outright star. Rondo has that potential, especially if he can outperform Marcus Williams, Brandon Roy and Rudy Gay for ROY honors, to do the same.
Hey, if you guys have any other great example of the creative writing process at work in the Celtics blogosphere, don't hesitate to let me know about 'em!

No comments: