Parquet Wishes and Leprechaun Dreams

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

More words of wisdom from Gilbert ...

As TV's Martin Sargent would say, "Dear BLAHG ... " (nba.com):

Give the Celtics Credit
Nov 6, 2007
Posted by: Gilbert Arenas

The only reason I'm blogging is because one of the fans said to me while we were losing losing to Boston of Friday night, "Since you're getting your butt kicked by 20, you should blog about it."

So here I am.

Let's be honest: I've never seen anything like that before. It caught us off guard. We were so hyped coming into the locker room and then when you go on that floor ... whoo!

Right now it is great to be a Boston fan. You have the Patriots, you have Boston College, you have the Celtics, you have the Boston Red Sox who just won a championship. Right now it's great to be a Boston fan and I think it's the most excited the city has been for a long time. And it showed on Friday.

The whole atmosphere was unbelievable.

The Celtics did a great job. They made shots and KG performed – 22 and 20, you can't complain about that – plus Paul Pierce is going to do what Paul Pierce does and Ray Allen is going to hit open shots and make plays. Right now, by first glance, their continuity is there. That was the thing that people were worried about and what I was trying to bank on. You know they're going to be a good team, but I was trying to bank on that hopefully they wouldn't have their chemistry ...

... Oh, they had it!

They had it and I had to eat my words on national television. 0-1 on predictions is not the way you want to start out the season, especially me with my mouth.

But I did have two fans sitting on the front row wearing No. 0. They sat right next to the bench. They were two really good fans.

I've been going to Boston for many years now and I've never seen anything like that. I know most of you were watching it on TV, but if you were there you could hear them just chanting my name which was beautiful because I don't think even Michael Jordan got his name chanted in another arena like that.

Even though mine was chanted for hatred, it felt good. Now there's a bond between me and the Boston fans.

What Went Wrong

We were 0-for-16 from the 3-point line. When we broke down the play-by-play, the first period we were down three points, the third period we were up one and the fourth period we were up two. So it's a tie game if you take away that second period when they took their starters out and we took our starters out and you had Paul Pierce still in and he just went to work on us. They went on like a quick 12-0 run within two minutes and we could never get that back. Other than that, it was tied through the first, third and fourth periods.

That second period is when you think they're taking their stars out and you're going to take advantage and we had to take our starters out to get some rest too. That lone wolf, Paul Pierce, has been doing it for many years by himself and he showed he still can.

No comments: